"I'm going to take my talents to South Beach," uttered basketball phenomenon LeBron James so famously in July, triggering speculation over just how dramatically he could transform the fortunes of his new team, the Miami Heat. So far, the news is not good. The Heat — led by James and fellow stars Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh — have struggled to a 10-8 record, currently the 12th best in the league. Why are LeBron and company having such a rough go of it? (Watch Obama's comments about the Miami Heat)
This wasn't a great idea to begin with: In James and Wade, the Heat have "two superstars with overlapping skills" and "no cap space to round out a roster," says Ira Winderman at the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. It should be no surprise that Miami is struggling. "The current consternation" is just a result of the hype and "expectations that the team created."
"Ask Ira: Why is the Heat situation such a soap opera?"
Blame the coach, Erik Spoelstra: It's no fun to "kick an inspiring young coach while he's down," says Andrew Feinstein at SB Nation. But the Heat's Spoelstra "hasn't been up to the task." Coaching a roster of superstars isn't as easy as it seems, but "Spoelstra is clearly overmatched" by his group. The "signs of insubordination" against him have already begun.
"The Miami Heat aren't just bad, LeBron & Co. aren't even fun to watch"
LeBron's attitude isn't helping: The superstar is used to getting what he wants, says Brian Windhorst at ESPN. So far in Miami, James has said "he doesn't like playing point guard," "complained about playing too many minutes," and even bumped Coach Spoelstra on the sideline during a game on Saturday night. The Heat staff needs to do what the the star's last team, the Cleveland Cavaliers, could never manage: "Stand up to LeBron James."
"Heat can't afford to coddle LeBron James"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- Yes, Republicans can impeach President Obama
- What religious traditionalists can teach us about sex
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why Texas' abortion rates aren't falling as quickly as everyone expected
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
Subscribe to the Week