he video: A recent performance by Gwar, a decades-old metal band known for its elaborate costumes and violent theatrics, has some commentators wondering if the tendency to attack Sarah Palin has gone too far. (View clip below.) At a recent concert, the band, clad in "full sci-fi gross-out regalia," pretended to disembowel a stand-in for the former Alaska governor as a crowd cheered. "I just want you to know that after tonight you will never have to worry about Sarah Palin being your president ever again," said a member of the band.
The reaction: "Hating Sarah Palin is a personal hobby of mine," says Maureen O'Connor at Gawker. "But there are lines even I won't cross... visceral hatred need not necessitate actual evisceration." Yeah, this is "not cool," says Noah Garfinkel at Best Week Ever. It just shows that "there is weird theatrical music out there that is worse than Sarah Palin." We're talking about Gwar here, says Current TV. "When you're a form of metal band which performs in a epic costumes, it's only natural you'd disembowel a mocked politician at some point during the set list." Warning: The following clip contains strong language.
- How to make people like you: 6 science-based conversation hacks
- The Black Death is back
- The Idina Menzel-Taye Diggs split, and five other break-ups that hurt us more than it hurt them
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- The lingering mystery of the 1964 World's Fair
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- How John Boehner learned to stop worrying and hate the Tea Party
- How Arrow became the best superhero show on television
- Watch Fox News' Megyn Kelly claim Santa, like Jesus, is a white guy
- How the budget deal could pave the way for immigration reform
Subscribe to the Week