Barbara Walters has already announced eight of the ten choices for her annual "Most Fascinating People" TV special, which airs Dec. 9. So far, the selections are an oddball mix of celebrities — among others, royal bride-to-be Kate Middleton, a resurgent Betty White, and the cast of "Jersey Shore." But the host won't reveal her ninth and tenth subjects until the special airs. Who might take the final two slots? Here are five possibilities:
1. Lady Gaga
Of the two remaining spots, "we all know at least one of them will be Lady Gaga," says Jen Chaney at The Washington Post — "and the other one is probably either Tiger Woods or Kanye West." These predictions are so certain that "the odds of anyone quivering with anticipation between now and Dec. 9 are low."
2. One of the Obamas
"I'd be shocked if neither Barack nor Michelle Obama made the list," says Margaret Lyons at Entertainment Weekly. Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg also seems like a "solid choice," given that he's never made the cut before and interest in his life "has never been higher."
3. Lt. Dan Choi
"George W. Bush "has a book to promote," and Taylor Swift would be a boring but predictable choice, says Maureen O'Connor at Gawker. But "my wildcard 'interesting' pick is Lt. Dan Choi," the outspoken advocate for repealing "Don't ask, don't tell."
4. Lindsay Lohan
"I'm placing bets on Lindsay Lohan for sure," says Bridget Daly at Hollyscoop. "No one is more fascinating than that girl," and "Barbara Walters is definitely someone who could get Lilo out of rehab for the day."
It appears that worthy candidates like the Chilean miners "can't compete with the good, old-fashioned fist pumping" of the "Jersey Shore" cast, says Julie Ryan Evans at The Stir. So "don't be surprised if someone like Speidi" — that's the nickname given to D-list celebrity couple Heidi Montag and Spencer Pratt — "comes out on top."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: August 29, 2014
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- The amazing resurrection of Mitt Romney
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
- When it comes to ISIS, our Congress is full of cowards
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The essential techniques that every home cook should know
Subscribe to the Week