Inmate escapes through prison bars
Prison officials in Tennessee say an inmate escaped from jail by smearing himself in grease and squeezing between the bars of his cell. Kristopher White, 23, is 5-foot-11 and 165 pounds, yet he managed to writhe his way between bars that were only four and a half inches apart. White then scaled a barbed-wire fence and led police on a 14-hour manhunt before being recaptured. “It is beyond my imagination to know how he succeeded at that,” says the sheriff.
Spanish woman stakes a claim to the sun
A Spanish woman has filed papers staking an official legal claim to the sun. Angeles Duran, 49, states in notarized documents she is now the official “owner of the sun, a star of spectral type G2, located in the centre of the solar system, located at an average distance from Earth of about 149,600,000 kilometers.” Duran now wants to impose a reasonable fee for usage of the sun’s rays, with proceeds split between the Spanish government, the world’s poor, and herself. “Anyone else could have done it,” says Duran. “It simply occurred to me first.”
Will Tom Brady get a hair transplant?
Gisele Bündchen is pressuring balding husband Tom Brady to get a hair transplant, says ShowbizSpy.com. A source says the New England Patriots quarterback has already consulted with a transplant surgeon about his bald spot and thinning hair, after relentless pressure from his supermodel wife. “Gisele wants to maintain that perfect couple image, the handsome quarterback with a head full of hair and the stunning model with her own flowing locks,” the source says.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 10 things you need to know today: December 19, 2014
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Pope Francis' American problem
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
Subscribe to the Week