umblr, the popular "microblogging" service beloved by the technorati, has suffered a major service outage. No Tumblr site has been online since Sunday evening, an unusually lengthy outage for a major website, causing many of its fans to swamp Twitter and Facebook with despairing comments. The blogging service — which allows users to easily post and share photos, pictures, and links — works more like a social network than a traditional blog set-up. Tumblr's staff blamed the problem on a "major issue in one of its database clusters." What's going on?
Tumblr has been hacked: Some suspect this may be the work of hackers, says George Spangler at World News Headlines. "There were indications that several users of a forum site were engineering this attack," planning to overload Tumblr's network with "traffic it cannot use," a hack known as a DDoS, or "distributed denial of service." Some users of Tumblr were even "planning to preempt [the effort] with their own attack."
"Tumblr down, some speculate due to DDoS"
Tumblr's tech team is inept: This is "not good news," says Adam Mills at The Next Web, especially when you consider Tumblr is one of "the top 50 biggest websites in the United States." A site with that sort of prestige should be able to fix a blackout in under half a day. "Three words come to mind after all of this: Get it together."
"Tumblr goes down"
The site has grown too quickly: "Technical difficulties are part of the game," says Robin Wauters at TechCrunch, "but I don't think even Twitter has ever been down for more than 12 hours." The rapidly expanding Tumblr recently raised a "ton of money" in preparation to "staff its brand new New York offices" — something they "desperately" need to get done if this unprecedented blackout is anything to go by.
"Victim of its own success: Tumblr redefines the concept of 'back shortly'"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- The GOP must try to win over African-Americans
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Conspiracy theories spread in the wake of Malaysia Airlines flight disappearance
Subscribe to the Week