It is a winner: "Overall, I like the new look," says Nicholas Jackson in The Atlantic. "It's clean and streamlined." A new bar that allows easier toggling between pages is "a nice feature once you get the hang of it," but "my favorite change is a host of new fields" where users can display loads of information, such as their favorite sports teams and people who have inspired them. One downside: For those not often tagged in photos, parts of their profile pages will remain "static" and "rarely ever updated."
"A look at Facebook's new profile pages"
It is all about the visuals: "The change is in keeping with Mark Zuckerberg's ardent belief that people are hard-wired to look at faces," says Josh Wiseman in Wired. "Here's hoping you are ready for your close-up," because "nearly everything on the page" gets a "more visual treatment" than users are accustomed to. Even the things you "like" — bands, for example — become images in the new design. "Clearly Facebook is learning from becoming the net's largest photo sharing site that people like to look at pictures."
"Facebook profiles get a facelift"
It's more grown up: "Watch out, LinkedIn," says Kashmir Hill in Forbes. The new Facebook profile is much more focused on jobs than the old one; it now "highlights your professional resumé at the top of the page," and allows users to list their "detailed work histories and educational background." Facebook was once just a place for "fun and play," but these days it's "evolving into an essential place on the web to conduct business and establish professional connections."
"Facebook goes after LinkedIn with new profile pages"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- Inside Turkey's shadow war with ISIS
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
Subscribe to the Week