Aaron Sorkin has entered into the debate over Sarah Palin's shooting of a caribou on her TLC reality show — and how. The creator of "The West Wing" has written a "scathing" piece at The Huffington Post berating Palin for killing animals "for fun" and for "political gain," labeling her both a "witless bully" and a "phony pioneer girl." He concludes: "Sarah Palin is deranged and The Learning Channel should be ashamed of itself." The Alaskan conservative has yet to respond to Sorkin's screed. Has the screenwriter (The Social Network) lost his sense of perspective?
There is much worse animal cruelty in the world: "Why is Aaron Sorkin wasting his formidable writing powers on this?" asks Glynnis MacNicol in Business Insider. If he really dislikes animal cruelty then he ought to write about slaughterhouses. Pumping a caged animal "full of antibiotics" is far worse than "shooting a caribou that's lived its life in the wild." Even when it's Sarah Palin doing it.
"Aaron Sorkin writes a ridiculously over-the-top response to Sarah Palin shooting a caribou"
This isn't about hunting: "For a man that has likely made millions writing for television," writes Noel Sheppard in Newsbusters, Sorkin "apparently knows little about it." Palin is making a documentary about life in Alaska, where people hunt. And several channels feature hunting programs far worse than this. It's not animals he cares about, it's Palin. Sorkin just wants to express "his hatred for this woman."
"Screenwriter Aaron Sorkin compares Palin to Michael Vick: She makes snuff films"
He's trying to get a rise out of her: Sorkin is rarely diffident about airing his opinions, says Stephanie Vallejo in New York, but this might be "his most explicit and extravagant screed yet." Judging by the fact it's penned as a "direct address to Palin," and written in a "dismissive," swear-filled tone, "we think Sorkin might just be hoping for a response." Stay tuned.
"Now tell us what you really think of her, Aaron Sorkin"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- Why Texas' abortion rates aren't falling as quickly as everyone expected
- 10 things you need to know today: July 29, 2014
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- Are there too many good shows on television?
- Paul Ryan's anti-poverty plan is another sign of life in the GOP
- How to trim $500 from your monthly spending
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
Subscribe to the Week