The video: In a clip from the upcoming "A Barbara Walters Special: Oprah, The Next Chapter," which airs tomorrow on ABC, Barbara Walters asked Oprah about her relationship with her best friend Gayle King and the lesbian rumors that have surrounded them for years. (View video below.) The queen of daytime talk let down her guard, breaking into tears as she said, "She is... the mother I never had... She is... the sister everybody would want... I don't know a better person." Walters then asked her directly about the "dumb" lesbian rumors. Regaining her composure, Oprah declared "I'm not a lesbian. I'm not even kind of a lesbian."
The reaction: Oprah's response to the lesbian question was "well put," says Jessica Wakeman in The Frisky. "It's absolute BS that powerful women, especially single women, are dogged with lesbian rumors to try to take them down." Her denial isn't even the most noteworthy moment, says Jeff Labreque in Entertainment Weekly. Her "sincere, heartfelt description of her relationship" with Gayle is "mesmerizing" and "eloquent." Indeed, the emotion she displayed was "surprising," says Mark Joyella in Mediaite. "Oprah Winfrey can talk to anyone about anything, but rarely opens up about her own life." Watch for yourself, below:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 7 tips for keeping your man (from the 1950s)
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
- 10 ways to gain real superpowers that will change your life
Subscribe to the Week