lthough Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi and the cast of "Jersey Shore" regularly cross boundaries, MTV announced yesterday that it will be sending the show's diminutive, oft-drunk breakout star somewhere she's never gone before: Inside a ball that will drop over New York's Times Square on New Year's Eve. In addition to Snooki-in-a-ball, the "MTV New Year's Bash" special will feature other stars of the show leading the crowd in a "collective fist pump" in an attempt to set a Guinness world record. Bloggers did not take kindly to MTV's plans:
"New Year's Eve used to be about elegance and class," says Shannon Hood at Frothy Girls. "Now, I won't be able to watch the ball drop for fear of catching a venereal disease through the television set."
Snooki's not exactly Dick Clark
"Actual adults should not have to ring in 2011 with a tiny, orange person they cannot identify," says Willa Paskin in New York.
"True to Snooki's personality, they should probably use UV tanning bed lights instead of the traditional LEDs," says Krista Westervelt at Gather.
It's harder than it seems
"And you thought being a B-level celebrity was all glitz and glamour," says Michael Star in the New York Post.
It's in her genes
"She probably volunteered to do it, since her lineage is actually tainted with a few rogue strands of gerbil DNA," says Meghan Carlson at Buddy TV.
"The lesson we have learned here today? Avoid MTV and Times Square on New Year's Eve," says Dodai Stewart in Jezebel.
Keep it in context
"The last Dark Age lasted a thousand years before the Renaissance," says Hollywood Outbreak.
- The man who sued his wife for birthing an ugly baby
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- Are differences in IQ to blame for income inequality?
- Australia just scrapped its debt ceiling. America should, too.
- What to expect when you're expecting (100 years ago)
- Watch The Daily Show pit Pope Francis against Fox News' 'War on Christmas'
- How to dramatically improve your memory
- Why learning which of your Facebook friends hate you is a great idea
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week