ince it came into being as a geeky side project in 2006, Twitter has become "so muscular and ubiquitous that it now competes with the likes of Google and says Claire Cain Miller in The New York Times. A new Pew study examines just who's tweeting. Here, a brief guide by the numbers:for users,"
Percentage of the total U.S. adult population on Twitter
Percentage of internet users who say they are "extremely active" on Twitter and use the service daily
Percentage of Twitter users who say they check for material posted by others several times a day
Percentage of tweets that are ignored. "For people who think a lot of fluffy stuff goes on on Twitter, this validates that," says Antone Gonsalves in InformationWeek.
Portion of Twitter users who tweet daily
Percentage of internet users on Twitter who live in urban areas
Percentage who live in the country
Dominant age range of Twitter users. Fourteen percent of those in this bracket use Twitter, while only four percent of those over 65 do.
Percentage of female internet users on Twitter, compared to seven percent of their male counterparts
Percentage of Hispanic internet users on Twitter, compared to five percent for white users and 13 percent for black users. Researchers did not have an explanation for why minority internet users are more than twice as likely to use the social media site.
Population of the entire United States
Number of Americans who are active on Facebook. "While the number of total Americans using Twitter represents a significant amount of people and highlights the importance of social media, it pales in comparison to the extent to which Facebook is used," says Dean Wilson in TechEYE.
More than 500 million
Number of active Facebook users worldwide, according to the company website
Number of registered Twitter users worldwide
Number of new Twitter users added each day
- WATCH: Jon Stewart and Bill O'Reilly spar over the Obama scandals
- How the White House's war on media backfired
- A linguistic dissection of 7 annoying teenage sounds
- WATCH: Suspect defends brutal beheading of London man in broad daylight
- Is Greek yogurt hurting the environment?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Sadly, you are uglier than you think
- Did IRS official Lois Lerner waive her right to silence?
- 32 TV shows to watch in 2013 [Updated]
- Confessions of a trust-fund baby
- The politics behind Kanye West's 'New Slaves'
- Are we on the cusp of a solar energy boom?
- Why Oklahoma Sen. Tom Coburn doesn't want tornado relief money
- WATCH: Jon Stewart hates everyone in Washington now
- LIVE UPDATES: Massive tornado tears through Oklahoma City area
- Angry at the government? 5 ways you can fight back
- 7 purported health benefits of drinking coffee
- What is a quantum computer — and why does Google need one?
- Why NASA is funding a 3D pizza printer
- The cool backstory of the Slurpee