The photos: After Prince William tapped A-list fashion photographer Mario Testino for his official engagement portrait with fiancée Kate Middleton, the royal couple has released two of the photos, one more casual, the other relatively formal (see below). "They are in their prime and brimming with happiness," said Testino, who took some of the most memorable photos of the prince's mother, Princess Diana.
The reaction: Prince William and Kate are both "formal" and "fun-loving," says Christine Fenno in PopEater, and "Testino has captured them beautifully." They "look genuinely in love," and Kate reportedly even did her own makeup. They do, indeed, look like "an ordinary young couple," says Roger Tooth in The Guardian, and that's absurd. The "pleasant enough" casual shot has an air of "arch informality" and "feels so 1980s," but it's the "weak, more formal" one really fails. The future king should have urged Testino to go for "some sort of postmodernism," or hired a stiffer photographer for a portrait that says, "Yes we are part of a privileged elite and no we're not just like you." See both images here:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 10 things you need to know today: July 23, 2014
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- Why America is duty bound to help Iraqi Christians
- 5 tricks to making a mind-blowing burger
Subscribe to the Week