he photos: After Prince William tapped A-list fashion photographer Mario Testino for his official engagement portrait with fiancée Kate Middleton, the royal couple has released two of the photos, one more casual, the other relatively formal (see below). "They are in their prime and brimming with happiness," said Testino, who took some of the most memorable photos of the prince's mother, Princess Diana.
The reaction: Prince William and Kate are both "formal" and "fun-loving," says Christine Fenno in PopEater, and "Testino has captured them beautifully." They "look genuinely in love," and Kate reportedly even did her own makeup. They do, indeed, look like "an ordinary young couple," says Roger Tooth in The Guardian, and that's absurd. The "pleasant enough" casual shot has an air of "arch informality" and "feels so 1980s," but it's the "weak, more formal" one really fails. The future king should have urged Testino to go for "some sort of postmodernism," or hired a stiffer photographer for a portrait that says, "Yes we are part of a privileged elite and no we're not just like you." See both images here:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- The worrying rise of the anti-vaccination movement
- Can Rand Paul avoid the Neville Chamberlain trap?
- To build the Death Star, we'll need this space elevator
Subscribe to the Week