President Obama angered liberal supporters by reaching a tax deal with Republicans without bringing his own party into the negotiations, then labeling his most vocal detractors on the Left "sanctimonious." The tax deal will probably pass Congress, and it is broadly popular in opinion polls. But will an alienated liberal base doom Obama's chances for re-election in 2012 — or improve them? (Watch Obama blast his critics)
The path to victory is through the middle: Obama's success in 2012 rests on the economy, says Mark Halperin in Time, the thing he can least control. But "this new Obama" is more likely to win than the old one, because "centrist governance" has a better chance of getting things done in a divided Congress. "Here's a simple rule to guide the president: If a proposal is denounced by both Nancy Pelosi and Sarah Palin, it will probably find support in the center of the electorate."
"Obama finds a new model for presidential success"
But independents aren't being swayed yet: A poll taken after the tax deal was reached suggests a "worst-case scenario" for Obama in 2012, says Nate Silver in FiveThirtyEight. Moving to the center, Obama "will annoy liberals without winning himself much more support among independents." That doesn't leave much of a route to victory.
"Poll suggests risks for Obama if liberals feel taken for granted"
At least it's a sign of strong leadership: I'm not a fan of the tax deal, but "for the first time in my adult lifetime, I am really proud of President Obama," says Dana Milbank in The Washington Post. Congressional Democrats had ample time to deal with the Bush tax cuts, and when they didn't, Obama simply "cut them out of the negotiations." Bravo. If Obama keeps up this "forceful leadership" against whichever party is in the way, "he'll have a strong couple of years."
"Obama finally stands his ground"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Hey, Paul Ryan's new poverty plan isn't completely terrible!
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- Deficit scolds are the most crazed ideologues in America
- The disturbing lessons of Arizona's un-American execution
- 7 language habits that reveal your age
Subscribe to the Week