n a 60 Minutes profile last night, incoming Speaker of the House John Boehner said he felt Obama had been "disrespectful" to him and promised to find "common ground" with Democrats, but not "compromise." The famously "weepy" Boehner also broke down twice, once when recounting how he tears up during school visits (moved by the need to ensure that "these kids have a shot at the American dream") and again when his wife paid him a compliment. "I'm an emotional guy," he told host Lesley Stahl. Are Boehner's tears evidence of a passionate politician or should he keep his emotions in check? (Watch the interview below.)
Man up, Mr. Speaker-to-be: What a "crybaby," says Kelly McParland at the National Post. "He spent virtually the entire interview red-eyed." Surely politicians ought to have some self-control. "He cries over legislation, he cries when he recalls his youth, he cries when his wife says something even remotely complimentary." While Boehner is in charge of the House, "Kleenex futures should skyrocket."
"Mr (blub blub) President (blub blub) there will be no (blub) compromise"
His tears prove he's genuine: Boehner's "uncontrollable, unsightly blubbering" is easily mockable, says Dan Amira at New York. "But you know what? It's actually pretty refreshing." Having a politician who cares about his job so much he is unable to control his emotions is infinitely preferable to "the cynicism and phoniness typical of many other politicians."
"John Boehner cries some more"
It's hard to reconcile his tears with his actions: As a crybaby myself, says Jonathan Capeheart at The Washington Post, I don't mind Boehner's frequent "waterworks." At least they prove "there's a heart there." That said, "I'm still trying to square [his] heartfelt concern" for kids chasing the American dream with Republican policies that risk pushing those children's parents "deeper into economic misery."
"John Boehner's crying game"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Driverless cars may be an environmental disaster
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Watch Zach Galifianakis get annoyed at President Obama on Between Two Ferns
- 4 easy ways to resolve life's toughest questions
Subscribe to the Week