In a 60 Minutes profile last night, incoming Speaker of the House John Boehner said he felt Obama had been "disrespectful" to him and promised to find "common ground" with Democrats, but not "compromise." The famously "weepy" Boehner also broke down twice, once when recounting how he tears up during school visits (moved by the need to ensure that "these kids have a shot at the American dream") and again when his wife paid him a compliment. "I'm an emotional guy," he told host Lesley Stahl. Are Boehner's tears evidence of a passionate politician or should he keep his emotions in check? (Watch the interview below.)
Man up, Mr. Speaker-to-be: What a "crybaby," says Kelly McParland at the National Post. "He spent virtually the entire interview red-eyed." Surely politicians ought to have some self-control. "He cries over legislation, he cries when he recalls his youth, he cries when his wife says something even remotely complimentary." While Boehner is in charge of the House, "Kleenex futures should skyrocket."
"Mr (blub blub) President (blub blub) there will be no (blub) compromise"
His tears prove he's genuine: Boehner's "uncontrollable, unsightly blubbering" is easily mockable, says Dan Amira at New York. "But you know what? It's actually pretty refreshing." Having a politician who cares about his job so much he is unable to control his emotions is infinitely preferable to "the cynicism and phoniness typical of many other politicians."
"John Boehner cries some more"
It's hard to reconcile his tears with his actions: As a crybaby myself, says Jonathan Capeheart at The Washington Post, I don't mind Boehner's frequent "waterworks." At least they prove "there's a heart there." That said, "I'm still trying to square [his] heartfelt concern" for kids chasing the American dream with Republican policies that risk pushing those children's parents "deeper into economic misery."
"John Boehner's crying game"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- Why Peter Capaldi has a bigger challenge than any Doctor Who in history
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- Why Halbig and the conservative war on ObamaCare will fail
Subscribe to the Week