Welcome to The Week's "What Next?" contest, an invitation to test your powers of imagination with challenges inspired by current events.
Results: With Kentucky planning to open a creationist theme park anchored by a giant Noah’s Ark, we asked you to come up with a theme park befitting another state. You flooded us with ideas like:
THE WINNER: For New Jersey: Six “Whacks’’ Great Adventure.
Alan Parven, Commerce Township, MI
SECOND PLACE: For Florida, in the year 2050: The Entire State Underwater Fun Park
Ashley Ryan, Catonsville, MD
THIRD PLACE: For Texas: Bush Gardens
Jane Ellen Frazier, Florence, MA
Alaska: The Palin-Drome — it can’t be spelled the same backwards and forwards, but you CAN see Russia from there.
Miles Klein, Frisco, TX
Detroit, Michigan: The Car Park—a giant, half-empty parking lot.
Gregory P. Casey, Medfield, MA
Minnesota: The Great Avalanche Experience (formerly, The Metrodome)
Bill Dorner, Indianapolis
Foreclosureland (Enter any state here)
Rick Glass, Arlington, VA
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
Subscribe to the Week