Welcome to The Week's "What Next?" contest, an invitation to test your powers of imagination with challenges inspired by current events.
Results: With Kentucky planning to open a creationist theme park anchored by a giant Noah’s Ark, we asked you to come up with a theme park befitting another state. You flooded us with ideas like:
THE WINNER: For New Jersey: Six “Whacks’’ Great Adventure.
Alan Parven, Commerce Township, MI
SECOND PLACE: For Florida, in the year 2050: The Entire State Underwater Fun Park
Ashley Ryan, Catonsville, MD
THIRD PLACE: For Texas: Bush Gardens
Jane Ellen Frazier, Florence, MA
Alaska: The Palin-Drome — it can’t be spelled the same backwards and forwards, but you CAN see Russia from there.
Miles Klein, Frisco, TX
Detroit, Michigan: The Car Park—a giant, half-empty parking lot.
Gregory P. Casey, Medfield, MA
Minnesota: The Great Avalanche Experience (formerly, The Metrodome)
Bill Dorner, Indianapolis
Foreclosureland (Enter any state here)
Rick Glass, Arlington, VA
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- After Ferguson, we don't need another dialogue on race
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The government is getting into the fact-checking business. Be very, very afraid.
- The world is on fire and neither Democrats or Republicans have a clue
- In defense of Obama's golfing
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- How Democrats might goad the GOP into shutting down the government
- A trick for better lunch sandwiches
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
Subscribe to the Week