Welcome to The Week's "What Next?" contest, an invitation to test your powers of imagination with challenges inspired by current events.
Results: With Kentucky planning to open a creationist theme park anchored by a giant Noah’s Ark, we asked you to come up with a theme park befitting another state. You flooded us with ideas like:
THE WINNER: For New Jersey: Six “Whacks’’ Great Adventure.
Alan Parven, Commerce Township, MI
SECOND PLACE: For Florida, in the year 2050: The Entire State Underwater Fun Park
Ashley Ryan, Catonsville, MD
THIRD PLACE: For Texas: Bush Gardens
Jane Ellen Frazier, Florence, MA
Alaska: The Palin-Drome — it can’t be spelled the same backwards and forwards, but you CAN see Russia from there.
Miles Klein, Frisco, TX
Detroit, Michigan: The Car Park—a giant, half-empty parking lot.
Gregory P. Casey, Medfield, MA
Minnesota: The Great Avalanche Experience (formerly, The Metrodome)
Bill Dorner, Indianapolis
Foreclosureland (Enter any state here)
Rick Glass, Arlington, VA
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- Capitalism isn't a cure-all for Cuba
Subscribe to the Week