Welcome to The Week's "What Next?" contest, an invitation to test your powers of imagination with challenges inspired by current events.
Results: With Kentucky planning to open a creationist theme park anchored by a giant Noah’s Ark, we asked you to come up with a theme park befitting another state. You flooded us with ideas like:
THE WINNER: For New Jersey: Six “Whacks’’ Great Adventure.
Alan Parven, Commerce Township, MI
SECOND PLACE: For Florida, in the year 2050: The Entire State Underwater Fun Park
Ashley Ryan, Catonsville, MD
THIRD PLACE: For Texas: Bush Gardens
Jane Ellen Frazier, Florence, MA
Alaska: The Palin-Drome — it can’t be spelled the same backwards and forwards, but you CAN see Russia from there.
Miles Klein, Frisco, TX
Detroit, Michigan: The Car Park—a giant, half-empty parking lot.
Gregory P. Casey, Medfield, MA
Minnesota: The Great Avalanche Experience (formerly, The Metrodome)
Bill Dorner, Indianapolis
Foreclosureland (Enter any state here)
Rick Glass, Arlington, VA
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
Subscribe to the Week