The video: Hosting "Saturday Night Live" this weekend for the first time since 1996, Jim Carrey got people talking with a skit that parodies the Oscar-contender film Black Swan. (See clip below.) Carrey sent up Mila Kunis' role as the sexy, inhibition-free ballerina who undermines the movie's tightly wound protagonist (Natalie Portman). Revisiting his roots in physical comedy, Carrey gobbled up birdseed, stuck gum in the ear of Bill Hader's choreographer character, and generally carried on.
The reaction: The sketch made "some good observations... mostly about Vincent Cassel's character, 'the world's only straight French choreographer,'" says David Sims at The A.V. Club. But Carrey overshadowed any comic insights, "flopping around maniacally as the black swan, and while I liked him baying for crumbs, the joke was tired almost immediately." I disagree, says Mike Ryan at Movieline The comic "brought his A-game" to a sketch "reminiscent of... [his] prime during the late ’90s." Watch Jim Carrey ham it up in tulle:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- 10 things you need to know today: July 22, 2014
- Why America is duty-bound to help Iraqi Christians
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 29 adorable slang terms for sex (from the last 600 years)
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week