The video: Hosting "Saturday Night Live" this weekend for the first time since 1996, Jim Carrey got people talking with a skit that parodies the Oscar-contender film Black Swan. (See clip below.) Carrey sent up Mila Kunis' role as the sexy, inhibition-free ballerina who undermines the movie's tightly wound protagonist (Natalie Portman). Revisiting his roots in physical comedy, Carrey gobbled up birdseed, stuck gum in the ear of Bill Hader's choreographer character, and generally carried on.
The reaction: The sketch made "some good observations... mostly about Vincent Cassel's character, 'the world's only straight French choreographer,'" says David Sims at The A.V. Club. But Carrey overshadowed any comic insights, "flopping around maniacally as the black swan, and while I liked him baying for crumbs, the joke was tired almost immediately." I disagree, says Mike Ryan at Movieline The comic "brought his A-game" to a sketch "reminiscent of... [his] prime during the late ’90s." Watch Jim Carrey ham it up in tulle:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
Subscribe to the Week