The controversy: Subway, the ubiquitous chain known for its "$5 footlong" sub, recently introduced falafel sandwiches for testing in the Chicago area. A Middle Eastern favorite made of chickpeas and/or fava beans, falafel has surged in popularity in the U.S. in recent years. Subway's experiment is part of a broader trend in which fast-food chains try to broaden their appeal by peddling new kinds of cuisine; Domino's now offers buffalo wings and pizza, Dunkin' Donuts sells pancake bites, and McDonald's serves up cappuccinos. But at least one Chicago critic is upset that America's chains have tried to experiment with menu items that fall outside their area of expertise. Should Subway stick to doing what it knows best?
The reaction: Fast-food chains peddling fattening meals is bad, says Steve Johnson at Chicago Tribune, but falafel at Subway is part of a "more insidious problem" — namely, that "too many of America's fast-food emporiums are failing to stay in their place." And "just as you don't often find the football and debate teams sitting together in high school," restaurants should focus on their mission statement, not try to do everything at once. But this sandwich gives vegetarians "reason to celebrate," says Eric Fortney in This Dish Is Vegetarian. "Anytime a major eating establishment decides to offer a new plant-based selection, that doesn't involve just simply slapping a piece of lettuce on a dry bun, it's big news." Even better, Subway's falafel sandwich tastes "way better than I had expected," says DJ Meltdown. Still, with so many other good falafel options around, "I'm not sure that this concept will fly in Chicago."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 5 tricks to making a mind-blowing burger
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why America is duty bound to help Iraqi Christians
- What if The Purge was real?
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
Subscribe to the Week