irst came a "risky" new logo. Now Starbucks is grabbing more attention by introducing a new largest cup size: The 31-ounce Trenta. Execs are rolling out the mammoth cup, 11 ounces more than the Venti (and used only for cold drinks such as iced coffee and tea), in Arizona, Texas, and Florida before taking it national. (Watch an AP report about the new Starbucks size.) Commentators are, of course, cracking wise at the news that the supposedly sophisticated coffee purveyor is letting customers "super size it," especially since the 916-ml Trenta is more volumnous than the average human stomach (900 ml). Here, a sampling of trenchant Trenta observations:
"What we are looking forward to most, however, is the exasperated look on the barista's face whenever a customer asks for 'extra large' and has to be corrected with 'Trenta,'" says Nate Freeman at The New York Observer. "It's an appropriately faux-European name in line with all the others, and jaded coffee fiends will mock it accordingly."
"I think I'm gonna need a bigger cup holder," says Weege at Denver Westword.
"If America works up a thirst for the Trenta, it's a good bet that a fishtank full of Frappuchino won't be far behind," says Richard Adams in the Guardian. "There are no plans for Starbucks to sell the jacuzzi-sized coffee cup to its British customers. Yet."
"The name Trenta, by the way, comes from the Italian word for 30. It's otherwise known in this country as a massive container for pricey beverages," says Brian Williams at NBC Nightly News.
"I guess 'less is more' was never Starbucks' thing," says Carmel Lobello at Death + Taxes. "The Trenta sounds like a super expensive version of a Big Gulp."
What was that?
"My bladder just gasped," says Heather Murphy-Raines at The Stir.
- How the strange case of Obama's Uncle Omar complicates immigration reform
- There is a better alternative to raising the minimum wage
- Watch The Daily Show use Pope Francis to hammer Fox Business pundits
- Is Biden helping or hurting U.S. interests in Asia?
- Rick Santorum wins the prize for the worst Nelson Mandela tribute
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- This is how much extra it costs to eat healthy every day
Did God have a wife?
- How Vanessa became Jacob
- Remembering Nelson Mandela: The world's front pages
Subscribe to the Week