The story: It's easy to find revealing pictures of Victoria's Secret model Miranda Kerr on the internet, but the latest has generated a more serious debate. The Australian model posted an intimate picture of herself breastfeeding her newborn, Flynn, on her website this week, prompting some to complain she was sharing too much. But others say the picture — apparently taken by Kerr's husband, actor Orlando Bloom — could help break down some of the taboos surrounding breast-feeding in public. (Watch a report about the controversy)
The reaction: This "blissful photo" evokes those "magical early bonding days with a baby," says Mary Elizabeth Williams at Salon. Kudos to Kerr for her ability to both "fill out a Victoria's Secret push-up and inspire other nursing mothers." Look, I understand that "breast-feeding is 'natural' and is supposed to be some 'beautiful moment,'" says Cara Harrington at Hollywood Dame, but "I am really a fan of throwing a blanket over things like that." Now, I wonder if "La Leche League" will put me on a "Wanted poster." Here, the picture that's causing all the fuss:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- Don't vote for Andrew Cuomo
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
Subscribe to the Week