he story: It's easy to find revealing pictures of Victoria's Secret model Miranda Kerr on the internet, but the latest has generated a more serious debate. The Australian model posted an intimate picture of herself breastfeeding her newborn, Flynn, on her website this week, prompting some to complain she was sharing too much. But others say the picture — apparently taken by Kerr's husband, actor Orlando Bloom — could help break down some of the taboos surrounding breast-feeding in public. (Watch a report about the controversy)
The reaction: This "blissful photo" evokes those "magical early bonding days with a baby," says Mary Elizabeth Williams at Salon. Kudos to Kerr for her ability to both "fill out a Victoria's Secret push-up and inspire other nursing mothers." Look, I understand that "breast-feeding is 'natural' and is supposed to be some 'beautiful moment,'" says Cara Harrington at Hollywood Dame, but "I am really a fan of throwing a blanket over things like that." Now, I wonder if "La Leche League" will put me on a "Wanted poster." Here, the picture that's causing all the fuss:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Why states should stop limiting the alcohol content in your beer
Subscribe to the Week