The story: It's easy to find revealing pictures of Victoria's Secret model Miranda Kerr on the internet, but the latest has generated a more serious debate. The Australian model posted an intimate picture of herself breastfeeding her newborn, Flynn, on her website this week, prompting some to complain she was sharing too much. But others say the picture — apparently taken by Kerr's husband, actor Orlando Bloom — could help break down some of the taboos surrounding breast-feeding in public. (Watch a report about the controversy)
The reaction: This "blissful photo" evokes those "magical early bonding days with a baby," says Mary Elizabeth Williams at Salon. Kudos to Kerr for her ability to both "fill out a Victoria's Secret push-up and inspire other nursing mothers." Look, I understand that "breast-feeding is 'natural' and is supposed to be some 'beautiful moment,'" says Cara Harrington at Hollywood Dame, but "I am really a fan of throwing a blanket over things like that." Now, I wonder if "La Leche League" will put me on a "Wanted poster." Here, the picture that's causing all the fuss:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The single best way to help your kid succeed at school
- What Keeping Up with the Kardashians can teach America about interracial marriage
- ISIS and the echoes of the West's religious terror
- Welcome to the age of ambivalent feminism
Subscribe to the Week