"Okay, you've got Palin fatigue," says Gloria Borger at CNN. "Not to worry. So does much of the country." In fact, the latest CNN poll found that a record 56 percent of Americans now have an unfavorable opinion of the the former Alaska governor. Palin's fall from grace is not merely backlash against her "tone-deaf response" to those who claimed she was "somehow responsible" for the Tucson shootings. It's because she has morphed from hockey mom to "multi-media extravaganza," knocking on our doors daily to "sell something, without any invitation." In the process, she has "completely overstayed her welcome." Here, an excerpt:
When Sarah Palin was air-dropped onto the national scene, she was just what the GOP ordered. Republicans were looking for something new to cheer about. In Palin, they found it... Now, something is changing. Her staunch supporters are still there, to be sure, but Republicans are getting antsy, even nervous. In GOP circles, she's beginning to be seen as toxic in any presidential race...
Voters actually like positive leaders who inspire them. Relentless negativity can work, to be sure. Yet in the end, Americans gravitate to those who make us feel good about who we are capable of becoming. Successful candidacies and presidencies are not just about the foibles of the opposition. They're about our own ability — as John McCain was fond of saying — to become a part of something greater than ourselves. Palin, alas, is still stuck on the "me" part.
Read the full article at CNN.com.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
Subscribe to the Week