he video: Former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, a likely 2012 Republican candidate for president, has released a video ostensibly to promote his new book, Courage to Stand. (Watch below.) But given the location (New Hampshire) and the featured event (the Merrimack County GOP reception), the video is being treated as "proof" that Pawlenty is auditioning for commander-in-chief. Either that "or he's starring in a new blockbuster action film," says Robin Marty in Care2. "Based on his new commercial, it's sort of hard to decide."
The reaction: Pawlenty "got pigeonholed early on as the 'bland' candidate," says Seth Millstein in Short Form Blog. While I'm not sure that making "an ad for his book that looks like a Michael Bay trailer" is the best way to "shake that label," but you can see what he's thinking. "I take the point," says Josh Marshall in Talking Points Memo, but "precisely because Pawlenty seems like such a soft soap, this sort of 'man of destiny' stuff just comes off a little farcical." Maybe Rudy Giuliani could pull it off, because he's probably actually "thought about how he'd respond to an invasion of space aliens." View the clip for yourself:
- How the strange case of Obama's Uncle Omar complicates immigration reform
- There is a better alternative to raising the minimum wage
- Rick Santorum wins the prize for the worst Nelson Mandela tribute
- Watch The Daily Show use Pope Francis to hammer Fox Business pundits
- 10 things you need to know today: December 6, 2013
- 'Mexican Barbie' and 10 other controversial Barbies [Updated]
- 4 secret societies you probably don't know about
- The 13-year-old CEO who invented a cure for hiccups
Did God have a wife?
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
Subscribe to the Week