lack Eyed Peas star will.i.am has a new beat — "director of creative innovation" at computer-processor manufacturer Intel. The tech firm signed the recording star formerly known as William Adams Jr. to be a "multiyear, hands-on creative and technology" collaborator. What does that mean? (Watch a report about will.i.am's new position)
He will be creating products, apparently: Intel says that will.i.am will collaborate on "creative and technology endeavors" including "laptops, smartphones, and tablets," reports Brian Barrett at Gizmodo. But "here's the thing" — Intel doesn't make "consumer products" like those devices. It makes processors. What does will.i.am know about silicon chips?
"Intel puts will.i.am on the payroll because why?"
He will be promoting products: Don't let the important-sounding title fool you, says Don Clark in The Wall Street Journal. The star will effectively be a "brand ambassador" for Intel. He'll help to "create more of an emotional connection between computer users and Intel chips."
"Intel seeks new beat with Black Eyed Peas front man"
He will be rewriting their jingle: The first, and likely only, task for will.i.am at his new employer will be to "rewrite the Intel Inside jingle," says Jameson Berkow in the Financial Post. The distinctive "DUM-da-da-da-dum" has remained "essentially unchanged" since 1992. "Expect the new version to sound nothing like the old."
"will.i.am launches will.i.apps, becomes Intel employee"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- Why you're probably drinking your beer all wrong
Subscribe to the Week