Black Eyed Peas star will.i.am has a new beat — "director of creative innovation" at computer-processor manufacturer Intel. The tech firm signed the recording star formerly known as William Adams Jr. to be a "multiyear, hands-on creative and technology" collaborator. What does that mean? (Watch a report about will.i.am's new position)
He will be creating products, apparently: Intel says that will.i.am will collaborate on "creative and technology endeavors" including "laptops, smartphones, and tablets," reports Brian Barrett at Gizmodo. But "here's the thing" — Intel doesn't make "consumer products" like those devices. It makes processors. What does will.i.am know about silicon chips?
"Intel puts will.i.am on the payroll because why?"
He will be promoting products: Don't let the important-sounding title fool you, says Don Clark in The Wall Street Journal. The star will effectively be a "brand ambassador" for Intel. He'll help to "create more of an emotional connection between computer users and Intel chips."
"Intel seeks new beat with Black Eyed Peas front man"
He will be rewriting their jingle: The first, and likely only, task for will.i.am at his new employer will be to "rewrite the Intel Inside jingle," says Jameson Berkow in the Financial Post. The distinctive "DUM-da-da-da-dum" has remained "essentially unchanged" since 1992. "Expect the new version to sound nothing like the old."
"will.i.am launches will.i.apps, becomes Intel employee"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Why gay people of color are still losing
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 10 things you need to know today: September 16, 2014
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Can we lead spiritually fulfilling lives without religion?
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
Subscribe to the Week