The video: Last year, Old Spice's viral video campaign featuring the barely clad Isaiah Mustafa scored big, inspiring scores of parodies and injecting fresh life into a has-been brand. Now, the charismatic, loquacious Old Spice Guy is making a "triumphant" return. As Mustafa says in a new online video, "I'm back... to inform the people on this crazy blue marble that we call Earth how they or their man can use Old Spice to smell as fresh as the freshest smelling places on Earth." (Watch the video below.) The first of three new commercials will begin airing on television on February 7, the day after the Super Bowl.
The reaction: It will be hard to duplicate the success of the first campaign, says Eric Kallman of Wieden+Kennedy, the ad agency that created it, as quoted at MSNBC. "Inherently, there's pressure...." But Isaiah Mustafa is "the sexiest star of the commercial world" and "definitely not ready to retire," says Bonnie Fuller at Hollywood Life. I can "watch this entire [new] commercial on mute and still be happy." The campaign has been "consistently great," says Jay Hathaway at Urlesque, and I'm looking forward to seeing the "creative new ways" those "body-wash marketing geniuses" have come up with "to show off Mr. Mustafa's infuriatingly perfect body." See for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- What Keeping Up with the Kardashians can teach America about interracial marriage
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- ISIS and the echoes of the West's religious terror
- The single best way to help your kid succeed at school
- Today in history: Lincoln reveals the real goal of the Civil War
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
Subscribe to the Week