The video: The Xperia Play, Sony's forthcoming phone-meets-videogame player, has been "one of the worst- kept secrets in gaming," says Andrew Webster at Ars Technica. Rumors emerged in August, pictures in October, and this week, the tech blog Engadget got its hands on a Chinese prototype and posted a detailed review. (See a video, below.) The Xperia, designed with frequent gamers in mind, features a "slide-out gamepad with four PlayStation style buttons" — plus all the trappings of a modern touchscreen smartphone, such as a five-megapixel camera and the new Gingerbread version of the Android operating system. Sony is expected to offically unveil its new toy at Barcelona's Mobile World Congress, which begins on February 14.
The reaction: "Having touched the actual gamepad on an Xperia Play," says Richard Lai at Engadget, "we'd be lying if we say we're not further tempted by it." The video games all ran "pretty well," and the phone functionality is "snappy and fairly stable" though a "flimsy" battery door is a definite design flaw. "Unanswered questions" still abound: How will games be priced, billed, and delivered? How much will the gadget cost? This looks like "a solid device, especially for serious mobile gamers," says Adam Frucci at DVice. Gameplaying on the iPhone is limited by its touchscreen, but the XPeria's controls "solve that problem swimmingly." Watch a video of the Xperia in action:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 17 old proverbs we should use more often
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- Adam Sandler's 'Thanksgiving Song': Explaining the 22-year-old tune's pop-culture references
- 13 vegetarian dishes for Thanksgiving
Subscribe to the Week