Is Kristen Stewart the fairest of them all? The 20-year-old Twilight star is reportedly up for the lead role in Snow White and the Huntsman, an upcoming live-action version of the fairy tale. Charlize Theron and Viggo Mortensen are in negotiations for the roles of the queen and the huntsman, respectively. But it's the rumored casting of Stewart, known for her disaffected pout and "I'm soooo over this" aura, both on and off screen, that has tongues wagging. Could she pull it off? (Watch a report about the Snow White rumors.)
Stewart is too moody: While Stewart evokes Snow White physically — "lips red as the rose, hair black as ebony, skin white as snow" — I doubt she could be "light-hearted enough" to be convincing, says Lindsay Mannering at The Stir. I think of Snow White as a "happy, smiley, innocent young woman." Stewart just seems "too angry." Ellen Page (Juno, Whip It), on the other hand, has both the acting chops and the right look.
"Is Kristen Stewart too dark & moody to play Snow White?"
Stewart would be perfect: "This is the perfect role for Kristen," say Ted Casablanca and Taryn Ryder at E! Online. She's demonstrated her acting abilities in a number of indie films, so talent isn't an issue. And, this would be a great career move for her, as opposed to getting "roped into another big franchise." Let's just hope there aren't any "scheduling conflicts" that'd prevent her from taking the part.
"Is Kristen Stewart the fairest of them all?"
At least she'd give Snow White a new twist: "This mess could work," says Michael K at D Listed. Sure, Stewart won't be your typical princess, but "I've always seen the real Snow White as a stoner who smokes out with the woodland creatures behind the dwarves' cottage and constantly bites her lip like it's filled with weed." She and Charlize Theron together could make for a bleary-eyed good time.
"Kristen Stewart has a thing for apples"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 10 things you need to know today: September 21, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 11 weeknight dinners you can make without a recipe
Subscribe to the Week