Is Kristen Stewart the fairest of them all? The 20-year-old Twilight star is reportedly up for the lead role in Snow White and the Huntsman, an upcoming live-action version of the fairy tale. Charlize Theron and Viggo Mortensen are in negotiations for the roles of the queen and the huntsman, respectively. But it's the rumored casting of Stewart, known for her disaffected pout and "I'm soooo over this" aura, both on and off screen, that has tongues wagging. Could she pull it off? (Watch a report about the Snow White rumors.)
Stewart is too moody: While Stewart evokes Snow White physically — "lips red as the rose, hair black as ebony, skin white as snow" — I doubt she could be "light-hearted enough" to be convincing, says Lindsay Mannering at The Stir. I think of Snow White as a "happy, smiley, innocent young woman." Stewart just seems "too angry." Ellen Page (Juno, Whip It), on the other hand, has both the acting chops and the right look.
"Is Kristen Stewart too dark & moody to play Snow White?"
Stewart would be perfect: "This is the perfect role for Kristen," say Ted Casablanca and Taryn Ryder at E! Online. She's demonstrated her acting abilities in a number of indie films, so talent isn't an issue. And, this would be a great career move for her, as opposed to getting "roped into another big franchise." Let's just hope there aren't any "scheduling conflicts" that'd prevent her from taking the part.
"Is Kristen Stewart the fairest of them all?"
At least she'd give Snow White a new twist: "This mess could work," says Michael K at D Listed. Sure, Stewart won't be your typical princess, but "I've always seen the real Snow White as a stoner who smokes out with the woodland creatures behind the dwarves' cottage and constantly bites her lip like it's filled with weed." She and Charlize Theron together could make for a bleary-eyed good time.
"Kristen Stewart has a thing for apples"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- Hey, grammar nerds! Stop freaking out about 'alot.'
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- The keys to succeeding with a job recruiter
Subscribe to the Week