President Obama gave a 15-minute live interview with Fox News host Bill O'Reilly on Super Bowl Sunday, in a conversation that ranged from Egypt to health care to football. It was Obama's first sit-down with frequent critic O'Reilly since September 2008, two months before Obama was elected president. In the high-stakes interview prior to the big game, who came out on top: Obama or O'Reilly? (See every time O'Reilly cut Obama off)
Obama won this round: "The president spun O'Reilly's questions like Ben Roethlisberger spirals a football," says Aaron Goldstein in The American Spectator. The president stayed on message, and O'Reilly only challenged him once, pressing him to forecast a Super Bowl winner. This sit-down would more properly have taken place "before a softball game," not the Super Bowl, since O'Reilly mostly "asked softball questions." Clearly, "Obama got what he wanted out of this interview."
"Thoughts on Obama-O'Reilly interview"
Obama flopped: The president still hasn't learned any lessons from his midterm drubbing, and this interview proved it, says Christian Whiton in Fox News. Obama's answers were all "either delusional or disingenuous," and his repeated "well-trod talking points" showed that he's learned nothing from his November shellacking.
"O'Reilly Obama interview shows that president still hasn't changed course"
Call it a draw: "Both sides scored," says Beth Reinhard in National Journal. O'Reilly "repeatedly interrupted" and even "talked over" Obama, without the conversation turning confrontational, and Fox got an exclusive interview with the president before a "Super Bowl–sized audience." Obama, for his part, was funny and "looked unafraid to face a news network he once described as 'entirely devoted to attacking my administration.'"
"Obama and O'Reilly spar"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week