The videos: Now that AT&T has to share custody of the coveted iPhone with Verizon, the rival carriers are battling for customers through a series of barbed TV commercials. First, a Verizon ad threw some snark at AT&T's reputation for dropped calls, panning over an iPhone as a voice-over intones: "It's beautiful. It's intelligent — even genius. But does your network work?" AT&T responded briskly, releasing an ad last Friday that derides Verizon's inability to handle a voice call and web-surfing at the same time. Demand for the new Verizon iPhone has been so great that the company had to halt pre-orders after one day. But nevermind sales numbers: Who's winning the ad wars?
The reaction: AT&T is "still holding on" to its talk-and-surf feature, says Gary Stephens at Grab Geek Points. But "while it is a cool function, I would rather have better quality on my network so I can actually make and receive phone calls. [Otherwise]... what's the point?" Perhaps the real winner here is Apple, says Andrew Berg at Wireless Week. "With Verizon Wireless and AT&T fighting over iPhone customers, Apple didn't even have to create a commercial of its own." Watch both commercials below:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- The danger of the Democrats' lack of desperation
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- Hey, Paul Ryan's new poverty plan isn't completely terrible!
Subscribe to the Week