The videos: Now that AT&T has to share custody of the coveted iPhone with Verizon, the rival carriers are battling for customers through a series of barbed TV commercials. First, a Verizon ad threw some snark at AT&T's reputation for dropped calls, panning over an iPhone as a voice-over intones: "It's beautiful. It's intelligent — even genius. But does your network work?" AT&T responded briskly, releasing an ad last Friday that derides Verizon's inability to handle a voice call and web-surfing at the same time. Demand for the new Verizon iPhone has been so great that the company had to halt pre-orders after one day. But nevermind sales numbers: Who's winning the ad wars?
The reaction: AT&T is "still holding on" to its talk-and-surf feature, says Gary Stephens at Grab Geek Points. But "while it is a cool function, I would rather have better quality on my network so I can actually make and receive phone calls. [Otherwise]... what's the point?" Perhaps the real winner here is Apple, says Andrew Berg at Wireless Week. "With Verizon Wireless and AT&T fighting over iPhone customers, Apple didn't even have to create a commercial of its own." Watch both commercials below:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 10 things you need to know today: September 16, 2014
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- Can we lead spiritually fulfilling lives without religion?
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- This is how the U.S. thinks China could invade Taiwan
Subscribe to the Week