The image: Lady Gaga has snagged the cover of Vogue's American edition for the first time — and her "weird" new look is challenging the blogosphere. Eschewing meat bikinis and architectural headgear, a seemingly eyebrow-less Gaga wears a severe pink Louise Brooks-style wig and bruise-colored purple lipstick. In the accompanying interview, Gaga cops to writing her latest song in "ten fucking minutes," adding that Elton John told her it was the "gayest song ever." The pop star also tells Vogue that she is "quite down to earth for such an eccentric person."
The reaction: While Lady Gaga's devoted Little Monsters are sure to "gush" about her latest reinvention on the March issue, says Osoblog, we don't like it. "She looks like an alien." Though "it is nice to see her wearing actual clothes." C'mon, says Daniel Haim at Bloginity. "This is one of the prettiest spreads we have ever seen of Lady Gaga." Classy and stylish, it's "so vibrant, so 2012." Stare down Gaga for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why gay people of color are still losing
- Do you need to be crazy to be the best?
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- In defense of family dinner
Subscribe to the Week