The image: Lady Gaga has snagged the cover of Vogue's American edition for the first time — and her "weird" new look is challenging the blogosphere. Eschewing meat bikinis and architectural headgear, a seemingly eyebrow-less Gaga wears a severe pink Louise Brooks-style wig and bruise-colored purple lipstick. In the accompanying interview, Gaga cops to writing her latest song in "ten fucking minutes," adding that Elton John told her it was the "gayest song ever." The pop star also tells Vogue that she is "quite down to earth for such an eccentric person."
The reaction: While Lady Gaga's devoted Little Monsters are sure to "gush" about her latest reinvention on the March issue, says Osoblog, we don't like it. "She looks like an alien." Though "it is nice to see her wearing actual clothes." C'mon, says Daniel Haim at Bloginity. "This is one of the prettiest spreads we have ever seen of Lady Gaga." Classy and stylish, it's "so vibrant, so 2012." Stare down Gaga for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- 6 tiny scientific mistakes that created huge disasters
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- What could happen if the Supreme Court rules against ObamaCare
- The myth of the stay-at-home dad
- The slippery slope of Twitter's attempts to stop harassment against women
- Girls on Film: The Hunger Games: Mockingjay isn't an action movie. It's a war movie.
Subscribe to the Week