The video: On Saturday, Manchester United soccer star Wayne Rooney electrified the home crowd when he scored one of the most memorable goals in Premier League history. During the second half of a match versus crosstown rival Manchester City, a charging Rooney fielded a pass from teammate Nani. With his back to the goal posts, Rooney leaped in the air, extended his right leg and rocketed the ball into the upper right-hand corner of the net, leaving goalie Joe Hart motionless and stunned. The goal put Manchester United (which is enjoying a historic winning streak) ahead 2-1 — the game's final score.
The reaction: "That's definitely my best goal ever," said Rooney, as quoted by The Daily Mail. His coach agreed, saying that, "I don't think I've ever seen a better one here at Old Trafford," referring to the famous stadium Manchester United calls home. "We've had some classic goals... but in terms of execution, you'll never see anything like that." Echoing many fans' reactions, Brian Hickey at Deadspin says Rooney's score was "nothing short of jaw-droppingly good." See Rooney's implausible maneuver for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 8 ways you're probably overspending without even realizing it
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- Why the West should accept ISIS as a sovereign nation
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The essential techniques that every home cook should know
- 6 constitutional amendments that just missed the cut
Subscribe to the Week