The video: On Saturday, Manchester United soccer star Wayne Rooney electrified the home crowd when he scored one of the most memorable goals in Premier League history. During the second half of a match versus crosstown rival Manchester City, a charging Rooney fielded a pass from teammate Nani. With his back to the goal posts, Rooney leaped in the air, extended his right leg and rocketed the ball into the upper right-hand corner of the net, leaving goalie Joe Hart motionless and stunned. The goal put Manchester United (which is enjoying a historic winning streak) ahead 2-1 — the game's final score.
The reaction: "That's definitely my best goal ever," said Rooney, as quoted by The Daily Mail. His coach agreed, saying that, "I don't think I've ever seen a better one here at Old Trafford," referring to the famous stadium Manchester United calls home. "We've had some classic goals... but in terms of execution, you'll never see anything like that." Echoing many fans' reactions, Brian Hickey at Deadspin says Rooney's score was "nothing short of jaw-droppingly good." See Rooney's implausible maneuver for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: October 30, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- For Democrats, the right lesson from 2014 is to be more liberal
- How to live a long life, according to science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How the brides of ISIS are attracting Western women
Subscribe to the Week