he video: On Saturday, Manchester United soccer star Wayne Rooney electrified the home crowd when he scored one of the most memorable goals in Premier League history. During the second half of a match versus crosstown rival Manchester City, a charging Rooney fielded a pass from teammate Nani. With his back to the goal posts, Rooney leaped in the air, extended his right leg and rocketed the ball into the upper right-hand corner of the net, leaving goalie Joe Hart motionless and stunned. The goal put Manchester United (which is enjoying a historic winning streak) ahead 2-1 — the game's final score.
The reaction: "That's definitely my best goal ever," said Rooney, as quoted by The Daily Mail. His coach agreed, saying that, "I don't think I've ever seen a better one here at Old Trafford," referring to the famous stadium Manchester United calls home. "We've had some classic goals... but in terms of execution, you'll never see anything like that." Echoing many fans' reactions, Brian Hickey at Deadspin says Rooney's score was "nothing short of jaw-droppingly good." See Rooney's implausible maneuver for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
- The Warren Buffett formula: How you can get smarter
- How to flirt, according to science
- 7 ways to quickly become a master at anything
- How any actor (even a really nice one) can play a truly evil villain like King Joffrey
Subscribe to the Week