The video: Ben Armbruster, a writer for the liberal website Think Progress, tried turning the tables on Jesse Watters, a Fox News producer known for conducting ambush interviews for Bill O'Reilly — and was cooly rebuffed. His cellphone video camera rolling, Armbruster approached Watters during last week's Conservative Political Action Conference, demanding that Watters comment on a former Fox News insider's claim that the channel fabricates material to "undermine Democrats." Ignoring the question, Watters instead took Armbruster to task for his journalistic technique. "This not how you do an ambush, man," Watters says. "It looks like you're a little J.V." When Armbruster brushes Watters' jacket, the Fox producer warns, "Watch my blazer, bro."
The reaction: "Jesse Watters has waaaay too much fun explaining the trade to this amateur," says Aaron Worthing at Patterico's Pontifications. Watters schooled Armbruster in how to avoid dignifying a painful accusation with a response. That's because Watters had to dodge the question, says D.J. Pangburn at The Sovereign Independent. He'd get fired if he answered. And even though "it was ultimately useless to approach Watters, it was a pleasure to see the camera turned on the smarmy bro." See for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
Subscribe to the Week