The petty controversy: New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg offended his city's legions of beer drinkers this week by admitting he drinks his ale on the rocks. "I actually put ice in my beer," Bloomberg told a crowd of employees at the Brooklyn Brewery. "Yeah, I know. It's how I've always done it." Bartenders and beer drinkers across the city were left rather stunned by Bloomberg's admission.
The reaction: Adding ice represents a failure to "respect the efforts the brewers put into the beer," said Julie Johnson, editor of All About Beer magazine, as quoted by the New York Post. And there could be political repercussions. "Beergate" may well force Bloomberg to wave goodbye to his "barely-concealed presidential ambitions," says John Del Signore at Gothamist. "That kind of freaky, vaguely elitist predilection isn't going to cut it in Coors country." It is perhaps worth noting, says Sam Dolnick at The New York Times, that drinking ice with beer is completely "normal" in Thailand, if not in Manhattan.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
Subscribe to the Week