Pennsylvania high school has suspended an English teacher, Natalie Munroe, for ranting about her students and colleagues in her anonymous blog called "Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?" Though Munroe, 30, is still receiving her $54,500 a year salary, administrators are reportedly considering firing her. Without mentioning any student by name, Munroe blogged that she sometimes wants to tell parents their kid is "a complete and utter jerk in all ways" and referred to her students as both "rat-like" and "rude, disengaged, lazy whiners." Is she just exercising her right to free speech, or is she unfit for the classroom? (Watch a local report about Munroe's rants)
Munroe did everyone a favor: This teacher should be "applauded" for "giving America and the world a really frank view of what's happening at the front lines of education," says Zennie Abraham at the San Francisco Chronicle. Sure, her blog is harsh and some of her trash talk is "disturbing." But this should tell you something about the tough jobs our teachers face every day.
"Natalie Munroe blog: What if Oakland teachers blogged?"
Get her out of the classroom: I get it — "kids are little sociopaths," says Madeline Holler in Strollerderby. But someone has to give them nurturing and guidance, which is why teachers "have all of my heartfelt love, admiration, and sympathy." Munroe's blog makes it abundantly clear that she "simply doesn't like kids." She shouldn't wait for the principal to fire her — start looking now for a "new career among adults."
"Don't fire Natalie Munroe over her Natalie Munroe blog"
Munroe's complaints aren't new: She's only repeating gripes that have been aired behind the closed doors of the teachers' lounge for generations, says Alexandra Petri at The Washington Post. So "she's fighting back," defending her kvetching, "and good for her!"
"Natalie Munroe and Nir Rosen: What happens online..."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
Subscribe to the Week