Welcome to The Week's "What Next?" contest, an invitation to test your powers of imagination with challenges inspired by current events.
Results: We asked you to come up with a Jeopardy question that would stump IBM’s Watson, and you scored with:
THE WINNER: Answer: While knowing the answers to many clues, it remains clueless.
Question: What is Watson?
Ivy Kaplan, St. Louis Park, MN
SECOND PLACE: Answer: A priest, a minister, and a rabbi.
Question: Who walked into a bar?
Jere Smith, Bryan, TX
THIRD PLACE: Answer: Elementary, my dear Watson.
Question: What was the first school attended by Sherlock Holmes?
Mick Addison-Lamb, Springville, TN
Answer: I Don't Know.
Question: What is the name of the player at third base?
Michael E. Olesak, Perth Amboy, NJ
Answer: Snooki is famous for this contribution to modern civilization.
Question: What is... (well, this one has everyone else stumped, too)
Jeffrey Contompasis, Ashburn, VA
Answer: Eggs, bacon and whole wheat toast.
Question: What did I have for breakfast?
Judy Rogers Basehore, Philo, CA
Answer: "Wow, you remind me of my mother!"
Question: What is a really bad pickup line?
Joel V. Harvey, Lawrenceburg, TN
Question: What is a dubious use of IBM shareholder money?
Mary Delli Santi, Budd Lake, NJ
Answer: No, you look amazingly skinny!
Question: Does this dress make me look fat?
Mike Boettcher, Scottsdale, AZ
Answer: They are the three little words a man most wants to hear from a woman.
Question: What are, "I brought beer"?
Mike Paul, Carrboro, NC
Answer: Two wives.
Question: What is the penalty for bigamy?
Alan Parven, Commerce Township, MI
Answer: Apple & Microsoft
Question: What two computer companies are better than IBM?
Michael Steinberg, State College, PA
Question: What color is Alex Trebek's tie?
Paul Bourdius, Bernardsville, NJ
Answer: I don't know, Dave.
Question: What did I do with the astronauts?
Mark O'Connell, Irvine, CA
Question: What does the winner of Jeopardy not know how to handle?
Carol Kaplan, St Louis Park, MN
Answer: I'd shut do—
Question: What would happen if you pulled the plug?
Richard Ardito, Saddle Brook, NJ
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How to survive a spaceship disaster
Subscribe to the Week