David E. Kelley — creator of "Ally McBeal" and "Boston Legal" — has undertaken the difficult task of updating Wonder Woman, the hot-pants-clad 1970s TV icon portrayed by Lynda Carter. Back then, Wonder Woman's alter-ego, Diana Prince, was variously an Army nurse and a secret agent. In Kelley's version, she'll metamorphose into a (superficially dull-sounding) corporate executive. Does a superheroine really belong in a corner office? (Watch a report about the new Wonder Woman)
This will rob Wonder Woman of her edge: The original Wonder Woman's day jobs "seemed more in sync with a secret life as a crime fighter," says Jessica Grose at Slate. It just doesn't seem Wonder Womanly to focus on profits by day instead of "saving lives or rooting out crime."
"Wonder Woman rewritten as corporate exec"
And it's not even original: This makes me "want to choke myself," says Michael K at Dlisted. It's a cheesey formula, and it's been done before. A modern woman balancing a high-powered existence as a billionaire business exec with a secret life as a "crime-fighting super-goddess?" "Did Bruce Wayne get a sex change without us knowing about it?"
"We've got a new Wonder Woman"
If it ain't broke...: Updating Wonder Woman was bound to be tricky, says Maureen Ryan at TV Squad. But Kelley's corporate Wonder Woman, to be played by the beautiful and talented Adrianne Palicki of "Friday Night Lights," will be "wordy, quirky, and sometimes frustratingly glib," at least if she's anything like his lawyer characters. That's too bad — "there's a sincerity" to the original, charmingly campy Wonder Woman, which is why I idolized her "integrity and strength as much as I coveted her golden bracelets and invisible jet."
"Despite a promising star, will the 'Wonder Woman' remake be a disaster?"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- How Block the Boat is fighting the Israeli government — in California
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
Subscribe to the Week