ahm Emanuel will be the next mayor of Chicago. Voters in the Second City gave the former White House chief of staff a definitive, if not overwhelming majority in an election that many assumed would fail to deliver an outright winner. After a race marked by a damaging feud over Emanuel's residency (or lack thereof) in Chicago, the notoriously quick-tempered Democrat beat out five rivals to receive a 55 percent share of the vote — avoiding a runoff battle with his closest rival, Gery Chico. How did Emanuel manage it? (Watch an AP report about Emanuel's win)
Obama had his back: The president is still "Chicago's favorite son," says Meredith Shiner at Politico, and the president's support gave Emanuel's campaign an insurmountable boost. Even though Obama never campaigned on Emanuel's behalf, he said his former chief of staff would make a "terrific" mayor. Emanuel's campaign used the endorsement well: The comment was repeatedly "blasted over local airwaves."
"Homecoming king: Rahm Emanuel elected Chicago's mayor"
The Chicago machine had it sewn up: Emanuel didn't just have Obama's backing, says Rick Moran at American Thinker, but had the entire "Chicago Machine" on his side. The "loyal aldermen" of Obama and former Mayor Richard Daley guaranteed the "'right' election outcome." Emanuel had this in the bag from day one. What else would you expect from a "one party dictatorship"?
"It's Rahmbo in a landslide"
He had lots of cash and a strong message: Two things helped Emanuel win the mayor's job, says The Economist: Cash and a clear message. The Democrat out-fundraised his rivals several times over, and "campaigned diligently," sending out a consistent message of "strong schools, safe streets, stable finances." The once-fabled "Chicago machine" no longer exists — this is Rahm's town.
"Rahm Emanuel wins"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Why states should stop limiting the alcohol content in your beer
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
Subscribe to the Week