The video: If MTV's "My Super Sweet Sixteen" and its assorted spin-offs aren't over-the-top enough for you, TLC has gone further, and younger, with its new show "Outrageous Kid Parties." The show premiered Monday, and set tongues wagging, with an episode that featured a 6-year-old's birthday party with a $32,000 price tag. Watch a clip below.
The reaction: American families are losing their homes in record numbers, and still there are "revolting people who haven't gotten the memo and don't know that conspicuous consumption in these times encourages conspicuous contempt," says Linda Stasi in the New York Post. What's the motivation here? asks Maureen Cairns in the Examiner. "Children do not need big expensive parties to be happy. Cake, ice cream, presents and friends are enough for their joy to shine through!" And these lavish parties make the cacophonous animatronics of "Chuck E. Cheese seem like a breath of fresh air," says Victoria Leigh Miller at Yahoo! See for yourself, below:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- China's leader is telling the People's Liberation Army to prepare for war
- How I lost all my money
- The best books we read in 2014
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How to save money: 12 great personal finance tips
- The religious right isn't retreating — it's reforming
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How to wrap a present with mathematical precision (and waste less paper)
Subscribe to the Week