The video: If MTV's "My Super Sweet Sixteen" and its assorted spin-offs aren't over-the-top enough for you, TLC has gone further, and younger, with its new show "Outrageous Kid Parties." The show premiered Monday, and set tongues wagging, with an episode that featured a 6-year-old's birthday party with a $32,000 price tag. Watch a clip below.
The reaction: American families are losing their homes in record numbers, and still there are "revolting people who haven't gotten the memo and don't know that conspicuous consumption in these times encourages conspicuous contempt," says Linda Stasi in the New York Post. What's the motivation here? asks Maureen Cairns in the Examiner. "Children do not need big expensive parties to be happy. Cake, ice cream, presents and friends are enough for their joy to shine through!" And these lavish parties make the cacophonous animatronics of "Chuck E. Cheese seem like a breath of fresh air," says Victoria Leigh Miller at Yahoo! See for yourself, below:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 10 things you need to know today: August 22, 2014
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- 7 of the scariest spiders in existence
- Don't listen to Paul Ryan: The GOP is still the party of makers and takers
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- Why isn't 'Arkansas' pronounced like 'Kansas'?
- The single best way to help your kid succeed at school
Subscribe to the Week