This week, a series of fresh promo videos featuring Oscar co-hosts Anne Hathaway and James Franco hit the internet, inspiring mixed reactions. In one clip, Hathaway boogies zanily in a fake outtakes reel. (Watch the video below.) In another, Hathaway plays an Eva Peron-like figure who breaks into (another) booty-shaking dance routine. In a third short video, Franco and Hathaway relive the 1970s film Grease. The videos are likely intended to quell criticism that Hathaway, not known for her comedy prowess, is funny enough to handle the Oscars. But are they ultimately working against her?
Hathaway is just not funny: Previous Oscar promos, which featured a more subdued Hathaway, were perfectly fine, says Richard Lawson at Gawker. But now, "she is doing jokes! Anne Hathaway-style jokes! And they are very bad." Hathaway's timing is terrible, her dance routine is many years out of date, and the fake outtakes are "just the lamest." She comes across as "the dorky girl with the makeover who thinks she's cool all of a sudden," and that spells "disaster" for Sunday's show.
"An Oscars problem: Anne Hathaway is not funny"
She's mining the wrong kind of humor: "Hathaway is a classical actress who has shown some comedic chops," says Megan Angelo at Business Insider, "but she's not slapstick." She just can't pull off the Evita-style promo, "which has Hathaway shaking her booty (literally) on a balcony." Maybe it would have worked for Kathy Griffin. "God bless Hathaway for committing" to this physical comedy, "but it's not working."
"OOF: Let's hope Anne Hathaway's Oscar performance is not as AWKWARD as these promos"
Forget funny, the videos show her range: Hathaway is "working to get viewers excited about a new generation of hosts," says The Huffington Post. The fact that "it's hard to tell whether she's more dictator's wife or hip hop impresario" in the Evita promo is a sign that she's doing her job. If Hathaway is able to "go from classic opera to hip hop like this on the real telecast, well, the Academy may have made a very inspired choice."
"Anne Hathaway, in Oscar promo, sings 'Evita,' shakes rump"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- 8 tricks to surviving the holidays without gaining weight or being grouchy
- 17 old proverbs we should use more often
- Adam Sandler's 'Thanksgiving Song': Explaining the 22-year-old tune's pop-culture references
- Don't blame Chuck Hagel: Obama's foreign policy has been a disaster from end to end
- Chuck Hagel wasn't the problem. It's America's addiction to endless war.
Subscribe to the Week