Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes have taken heat for letting their daughter Suri indulge in grown-up accessories such as lipstick and kitten-heeled shoes, but now fashion police are condemning Suri's latest accessory — a pacifier — as too immature. A photographer recently snapped a shot of little Suri, a month shy of turning 5, walking in Vancouver with a binky plugging her mouth. Ninety-seven percent of US Weekly readers responding to a poll said Suri is too old for pacifiers. Is it time for her movie star parents to take it away?
Yes, 5 is too old for pacifiers: Suri Cruise isn't a baby any more, says E! Online. It's "a bit odd" for her parents to let her parade around town with a paci. That said, the stuffed bear that the budding style icon was carrying when the paparazzi snapped her picture "was a nice little touch and effectively complemented her peacoat."
"Is Suri Cruise, almost 5, too old for a pacifier?"
Let her keep it until college if she wants: The "pacifier police" should give Binkygate a rest, says Julie Ryan Evans at The Stir. "My son was 4 before he gave his" up, and he's a perfectly healthy 7-year-old. Pacifiers are a "constant source of comfort" for little kids. Suri should surrender her binky only when she's ready.
"Suri Cruise has a pacifier at 5 and my daughter might too"
Suri has bigger worries: Paci abuse use may result in crooked teeth, says Mike Baron at The Post Chronicle, but that's "the least of Suri's problems." Due to her parents' fame, she lives under a glaring "media spotlight with cameramen taking photographs of her every step." That is "much more likely to be harmful to her development than a little binky binge here and there."
"Suri Cruise pacifier least of problems"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- When Khomeini said no to Iranian nukes
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: October 23, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
Subscribe to the Week