HBO and director Jay Roach (Meet the Parents, Recount) are bringing the gossipy 2008 campaign book Game Change: Obama and the Clintons, McCain and Palin, and the Race of a Lifetime to the small screen, and they've already made the most-anticipated casting decision: Julianne Moore, a lauded actress who's been nominated for four Oscars, will portray Sarah Palin. Is she really the best choice to portray the former Alaska governor?
Palin should be pleased: At the very least, "Moore will make for an interesting Palin," says Nardine Saad at the Los Angeles Times. Whether or not her Sarah can "compete with the gal from [Tina] Fey's spot-on 'Saturday Night Live' spoofs" is an open question, but Palin could do much worse. Being portrayed by a "classy redhead" like Moore will certainly be more flattering than the upcoming Palin-like character Kathy Griffin will play on "Glee."
"Julianne Moore to play Sarah Palin — but can she compete with Tina Fey?"
Moore may have trouble exuding folksiness: The role is "a little too serious" for a straight-up "Palin-impersonator" like Fey, but there were better choices than Moore, says Drew Grant at Salon. Mary-Louise Parker or Laura Dern would be great, and Megan Mullally "would have nailed it." Sure, "Moore is an amazing actress who rarely fails at conquering a character," but her on-screen "brittleness" seems a poor match for Palin's "aw-shucks" persona.
"Julianne Moore to play Sarah Palin in Game Change"
No one could triumph in this thankless role: Moore might not be "great at doing convincing accents," says Jaime Weinman at Maclean's. But even if she were, "it's hard to do a non-caricatured Palin impression." And given that the film should drop just when Palin would be ramping up her 2012 presidential bid, nothing about Moore's portrayal will go unscrutinized — especially with Palin's strategic assaults on any and all "pop-culture criticism of herself."
"HBO wants to make blogs explode"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Hey, grammar nerds! Stop freaking out about 'alot.'
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week