he video: Not content to let intergalactic movie-bad-guys hog all the world's laser guns, weapons enthusiast Patrick Priebe decided to build one himself. (View a demonstration below.) Priebe spent 70 hours making his DIY Pulse Laser Gun out of plexiglass, brass, and aluminum. With a 1-megawatt charge, the gun can "pop balloons, punch holes through paper, scorch wood, and generally be a menace to all creatures great and small," says Brian Barrett at Gizmodo. The foot-long, portable, two-pound gun could be yours: While the first model was tailor-made for a specific customer, Priebe has said he's open to building a replica for the right price.
The reaction: "If you thought a laser pointer in your eyes was bad, then you haven't seen anything yet," says Logan Westbrook at The Escapist. "It's going to be a long time before we swap out bullets for blasters, but it seems like that fateful day is inching closer." Yeah, "the only thing that's missing is an authentic PEW PEW PEW sound when you press the trigger, but that is surely only a small upgrade — or at the very least, an iPhone app — away," says Giles Turnbull at TIME. But seriously: "Do not try this at home." Check out the gun in action:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 4 life hacks from ancient philosophers that will make you happier
- Russia's Ukraine invasion is a moral crisis
- The Daily Show explains Hamid Karzai's 'Afghan Hustle'
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Can Paul Ryan's poverty blitz survive contact with reality?
- The end of academic freedom?
Subscribe to the Week