The video: If Charlie Sheen is suffering a mental breakdown, it might be the most profitable breakdown in history. The recently-fired "Two and a Half Men" star is taking his "they fired me" schtick on the road, with a series of live comedy performances. (Watch Sheen preview his road show, below.) Though Sheen's "My Violent Torpedo of Truth/Defeat is Not an Option" tour schedule is currently limited to Chicago and Detroit, tickets for both locations sold out in minutes, and additional tour dates are rumored. The troubled actor, who some suspect may be battling a mental illness or drug dependency, announced: "This IS where you will hear the REAL story from the Warlock. Bring it. I dare you to keep up with me."
The reaction: Sheen's "warlock masterwork" is still under wraps, says Ken Baker at E! Online, but sources close to the star have leaked a few details. Look for a partially-scripted, "Broadway-esque" variety show, with Sheen interacting with "comedians, actors, [and] random people in his life." Anyone expecting a racy, Howard Stern-like sex show will be disappointed — "[Sheen] wants it to be mainstream, and to be about fun for all his fans, especially women." Judging from his behavior in recent weeks, says Liz Kelly Nelson at Zap2It, we can expect "rambling and somewhat disjointed monologues" that "trash his former co-stars," along with plenty of cigarette-smoking. Whatever else, it will undoubtedly be a "break from reality." Get a taste for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- How to be the star of a cocktail party where you don't know anyone
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- California's epic drought
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
Subscribe to the Week