Talk show host Larry King left CNN in December after 25 years and countless amusing interviews with celebrities and newsmakers. But the septuagenarian might not be done with television for good. The New York Post reports that King is in talks to join "The Daily Show" as a regular contributor. Is King really a good fit for Jon Stewart's show?
This is not as crazy as it sounds: This is "hard to digest upon first hearing," says Mikey O'Connell at Zap2it. But, once you think about it, it starts to make sense. King never said he was retiring when he left CNN, and he has always had an interest in comedy. Heck, he's already planning to embark on a stand-up tour this year. Why not join Comedy Central, too?
"Larry King in talks to join 'Daily Show,' self-parody gods smile"
And it could actually be great: King would bring some credibility and a "serious 'wtf?' factor" to "The Daily Show," says Mack Rawden at Cinema Blend. And the gig would keep King relevant. "He has a sharp sense of humor, is more than willing to poke fun at himself and would be perfect for infrequent from-the-field reports." I really hope this happens.
"Larry King in talks to join 'The Daily Show'"
No, no, no: I'm sure King would give "The Daily Show" a ratings boost, says Kelsea Stahler at Hollywood.com, but I just don't think of him as a comedian. And, "at heart, 'The Daily Show' is a comedy show about politics, not a political show that uses humor to sell its message." That's an important distinction, and I fear bringing King aboard will muddy the waters.
"Larry King: 'Daily Show' correspondent?"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Mike Huckabee's head-scratching advice to Christian voters
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- How Scotland's independence movement lost the vote and still won everything
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week