A team of scientists in Angola have unearthed what they believe is an exciting archaeological discovery: The remains of what they say is a new type of dinosaur, and the largest plant-eating species ever. Here, a brief guide:
What exactly have scientists found?
Thus far, scientists have only found one fossil, of a forelimb bone. Because the skeletal characteristics of the fossil are unique, scientists believe it to be an entirely new dinosaur. They believe the giant dinosaur was a long-necked vegetarian.
Why are they only finding this stuff now?
This is the first major find in Angola in many decades, as the country has long been at war. In the 1960s, the anti-colonial war broke out. After the African country established its independence, civil war broke out in 1975. That continued until 2002, when rebel leader Jonas Savimbi was killed. The country was left in shambles. Science hasn't been a big priority, but "Angola is catching up right now," says Dutch scientist Anne Schulp.
What else is known about this new dinosaur?
The Angolatitan adamastor or "Angolan giant," is believed to have walked the earth 90 million years ago. The remains were found among fish and shark teeth, leading scientists to speculate that it was washed into the sea and torn apart by sharks.
What could the findings mean?
Matthew Bonnan, a dinosaur expert at Western Illinois University, says the discovery could help scientists better understand how "lizard-hipped dinosaurs" adapted to various environments. Not only that, but it's "really cool" to see such research coming from Angola as the field of paleontology gets more global.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- 11 facts yü should know about the umlaut
Subscribe to the Week