First the Sarah Palin movie, now this. On Monday, it was reported that HBO is developing a miniseries about former Vice President Dick Cheney. The premium cable channel has optioned Barton Gellman's award-winning book Angler: The Cheney Vice Presidency. The series, to be written by "Six Feet Under" scribe Rick Cleveland, will also be based on the "Frontline" documentary The Dark Side, and will retell Cheney's story from his early days with Donald Rumsfeld in the Nixon Administration to his stint under George W. Bush. Given Cheney's notoriously un-telegenic presence, commentators are cracking wise. Here, a brief sampling:
A charmed life
"Though 'The Kennedys' had terrible luck finding a cable home," says Kyle Buchanan at New York, "HBO is developing a new political mini-series that may be better received — and why wouldn't it, since it's about friendly, sympathetic former Vice-President Dick Cheney?"
"With 'Entourage' coming to a close, HBO needs to act fast if they want to remain the go-to cable source for shows about guys I'd like to punch. Enter Dick Cheney," says Wookie Johnson at Screen Junkies. "No word yet on when Charlie Sheen will be cast for the role."
Who should play Dick Cheney..." asks Jen Chaney at The Washington Post, "bearing in mind that Lionel Barrymore passed away in 1954 and is therefore unavailable?"
"HBO has done gangsters, vampires, and demonic carnies — so what resource will they mine entertainment next?" asks Eric Alt at NBC Bay Area. "How about the GOP?"
"It looks as though HBO's decided to double down" just in time for Obama's reelection bid, says John Nolte at Big Hollywood. "Don't hold your breath for any kind of election-timed docu-drama titled... Obama: The Lost College Years the Media Isn't Interested in Investigating."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Hey, scolds: Stop telling us to enjoy a healthy Thanksgiving
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
Subscribe to the Week