he video: In Round 1 of the cable news fight over the Libyan war, Fox News accused CNN reporters of being duped into serving as "human shields" while touring Moammar Gadhafi's compound, thus thwarting British airstrikes. CNN's Nic Robertson shot back — noting that a "hypocritical" Fox sent a camera-wielding security guard on the same tour and implying that his Fox counterpart, reporter Steve Harrigan, is lazy. Now Harrigan is telling The Huffington Post that Robertson is a "dull," feckless reporter who must have a "a screw loose" to suggest that "I'm lazy, that I'm a liar, and that I'm as bad as Gadhafi." (Watch Jon Stewart referee the fight below.)
The reaction: It's "curious" that Fox News is taking jabs just as CNN is trouncing it with superior Libya coverage, says Frederick E. Allen at Forbes. But both sides should be ashamed for indulging their own "pathetic" fight instead of helping viewers understand this murky conflict. Indeed, this "war of words" is stupid, says John Cook at Gawker, but give Robertson credit for reporting the truth: Harrigan really "is as lazy as Robertson says." No, Harrigan's a "fabulous reporter," and he didn't make this personal, Robertson did, says Fox News correspondent Jennifer Griffin, to TVNewser. Judge for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why Holy Thursday is so important to Christians
- How Captain America won over China
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Texas has been holding this man hostage for 12,600 days
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- 3 ways elephants and neuroscience can help you make better decisions
Subscribe to the Week