The video: The fervent prayers of the Republican Party have been answered. President Obama found himself locked out of the White House yesterday upon returning from his five-day trip to Latin America. Sadly for hopeful GOP supporters, Obama was only temporarily denied entry to the Oval Office. (See the video below.) It seems the White House staff was not informed the president would be arriving so early. Obama isn't the first president to find himself thwarted by an unyielding door — President George W.Bush was famously flummoxed by a locked exit following a 2005 press conference in Beijing. "I was trying to escape," he later joked. "Obviously it didn't work."
The reaction: Talk about no-drama Obama, says Mark Joyella at Mediaite. He didn't give a "funny look of confusion for the sake of snarky internet clip-posters," or even pause for a beat before working out what to do next. He even "seemed to whistle as he walked on." It's still a funny moment for the administration that claims to be the most transparent ever, says Ed Morrissey at Hot Air. Maybe this is what you get when you insist on so many closed-door meetings. Watch Obama's latest obstacle here:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Secret Service stretched mission to protect employee, report finds
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 10 things you need to know today: October 22, 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- How to make corn dogs
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
Subscribe to the Week