n January, British actor Henry Cavill ("The Tudors") landed the role of Superman in the upcoming film Superman: Man of Steel. Now, after some casting suspense, the Man of Steel has met his Lois Lane. Three-time Oscar nominee Amy Adams (The Fighter, Doubt) will play the feisty reporter. Adams reportedly beat out a host of other young actresses, from Rachel McAdams to Jessica Biel, for the role. The film's director, Zack Snyder (Sucker Punch, 300) says "we had this meeting with Amy Adams and after that I just felt she was perfect for it." Is she really?
Yes, she's got the talent: "If anyone can bring new blood to Lois Lane for a Superman movie, it's Adams," says Michael Sragow in The Baltimore Sun. "Finding the fresh response in obvious situations" has become her specialty; from Junebug to Doubt to The Fighter, she's shown herself to be a greatly charming, immensely versatile actress, though she's had the occasional misfire (ahem, Leap Year). She could really shine as Lois Lane, and I can only hope she'll be given the room to do so.
"Will Amy Adams steal the show as Lois Lane?"
And she's got that thirty-something spunk: With Lois Lane, "the keyword is SPUNK," and Adams "has played dames with moxie before perfectly," says Dixon Gaines at Movieline. Not only that, but she's 36, a suitable age to play a renowned reporter like Lois — unlike Kate Bosworth who was "barely pubescent" when she tackled the role of the Pulitizer Prize-winning journalist in the last Superman flick.
"Stop the Press! Amy Adams is your new Lois Lane in Zack Snyder's Superman"
If only the film had a better director: While Adams certainly has the "chutzpah" to nail this role, the bigger issue is whether director Zack Snyder is the right choice, says Sean O'Neal at The Onion's A.V. Club. With his new "Xbox erotica" flick, Sucker Punch, which opened last week to critical mockery, he scored his "third major letdown in a row." Many are worried that "he'll bring the Superman franchise down into the charcoal sweat-splattered gutter with him." But hey, at least Adams is a strong woman who stands a chance at standing up to his "bulldozing style."
"Amy Adams to play Lois Lane in Superman film that is, yep, still being directed by Zack Snyder"
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- 'Tis the season for having sex with old flames and ruining your office reputation
- 10 things you need to know today: December 8, 2013
- What makes a word the word of the year?
- There is a better alternative to raising the minimum wage
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 32 TV shows to watch in 2013 [Updated]
- 6 grammar points to watch out for in Christmas songs
- Watch The Daily Show use Pope Francis to hammer Fox Business pundits
Subscribe to the Week