Adulterous spouses, beware. A new website called CheaterVille — launched last Valentine's Day — offers the jilted a place to vent about their cheating exes. People have posted detailed accounts of their partner's transgressions, complete with photos. Some do so anonymously, others attach names. The website gives alleged cheaters the chance to log in and tell their versions of the stories, and the company says that in the end, it's out to promote fidelity. But does CheaterVille step over the lines of good taste and fair play?
This is just plain wrong: With Facebook and Ashley Madison and the internet in general, says Nicole Fabian-Weber at The Stir, it's rare to find anything truly shocking anymore. But this "virtual dumping ground for dirty details" reaches a new low. People are posting really private and damning personal stuff here, complete with photos, names, and all kinds of identifying information. Such vicious attacks "should be illegal."
"New website outs cheaters in full, disgusting detail"
Divorce lawyers seem to like it: The reality is that extramarital affairs are the leading cause of divorce, says John Bolch at Family Lore. If you're cheating and someone finds out and decides to "spill the beans," you deserve what you get. "Those with strong morals may disapprove of a site like CheaterVille, but as a divorce lawyer I have to say that I'm all for it."
This could really backfire: No matter how sweet the taste of revenge, says attorney Adam B. Cordover at his firm's blog, "a scathing post on CheaterVille" could come back to haunt you. If you're hoping to win custody of your kids in a divorce, you need to convince the judge that you'll help facilitate a close relationship between your children and the other parent. Trashing your ex online could make it look like your kids' best interests are not your first priority.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- Hey, Paul Ryan's new poverty plan isn't completely terrible!
- Deficit scolds are the most crazed ideologues in America
- The disturbing lessons of Arizona's un-American execution
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- 7 language habits that reveal your age
Subscribe to the Week