The video: Lady Gaga versus Katy Perry is pop music's clash of the week. First, Perry knocked Gaga's "Born This Way" from the top spot on Billboard's Hot chart, with her new single "E.T.," featuring Kanye West. Then, on Thursday, Perry previewed a video for the song, featuring alien imagery, psychedelic special effects, and dramatic makeup — a violent departure from her bright, cartoonish past (whipped-cream-shooting breasts, anyone?). Some commentators and Gaga fans were quick to note an uncanny resemblance to the "Born This Way" video. (See both videos below.) Is this much ado about eye shadow, or has Perry stolen more than the number one Billboard slot from Gaga?
The reaction: Perry's video is "like the love child of Lady Gaga's 'Born this Way' and Ke$ha's 'Blow,'" says Amanda Hasaka at Celebuzz. With the "space imagery... and the animal/human transformation," the resemblance is unmistakable. If anything, Perry has simply out-Gaga-ed the Lady herself, says Mark at MSN. Sure, this video is "thematically similar" to Gaga's "Born this Way," but "Perry's work is far more impressive," especially with its "out-of-this-world set design (no pun intended)." Watch both videos, and judge for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 5 legitimate scientific controversies
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- Why I got married — without a wedding
- 10 things you need to know today: October 2, 2014
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- Why the Rubio-Lee tax plan is great politics — and great policy
- How to improve your workplace culture
Subscribe to the Week