he video: Lady Gaga versus Katy Perry is pop music's clash of the week. First, Perry knocked Gaga's "Born This Way" from the top spot on Billboard's Hot chart, with her new single "E.T.," featuring Kanye West. Then, on Thursday, Perry previewed a video for the song, featuring alien imagery, psychedelic special effects, and dramatic makeup — a violent departure from her bright, cartoonish past (whipped-cream-shooting breasts, anyone?). Some commentators and Gaga fans were quick to note an uncanny resemblance to the "Born This Way" video. (See both videos below.) Is this much ado about eye shadow, or has Perry stolen more than the number one Billboard slot from Gaga?
The reaction: Perry's video is "like the love child of Lady Gaga's 'Born this Way' and Ke$ha's 'Blow,'" says Amanda Hasaka at Celebuzz. With the "space imagery... and the animal/human transformation," the resemblance is unmistakable. If anything, Perry has simply out-Gaga-ed the Lady herself, says Mark at MSN. Sure, this video is "thematically similar" to Gaga's "Born this Way," but "Perry's work is far more impressive," especially with its "out-of-this-world set design (no pun intended)." Watch both videos, and judge for yourself:
- How the strange case of Obama's Uncle Omar complicates immigration reform
- There is a better alternative to raising the minimum wage
- Watch The Daily Show use Pope Francis to hammer Fox Business pundits
- Is Biden helping or hurting U.S. interests in Asia?
- Rick Santorum wins the prize for the worst Nelson Mandela tribute
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- Ryan Seacrest invested $1 million to transform your iPhone into a BlackBerry
- How Vanessa became Jacob
- This is how much extra it costs to eat healthy every day
- What to expect when you're expecting (100 years ago)
Subscribe to the Week