The video: Lady Gaga versus Katy Perry is pop music's clash of the week. First, Perry knocked Gaga's "Born This Way" from the top spot on Billboard's Hot chart, with her new single "E.T.," featuring Kanye West. Then, on Thursday, Perry previewed a video for the song, featuring alien imagery, psychedelic special effects, and dramatic makeup — a violent departure from her bright, cartoonish past (whipped-cream-shooting breasts, anyone?). Some commentators and Gaga fans were quick to note an uncanny resemblance to the "Born This Way" video. (See both videos below.) Is this much ado about eye shadow, or has Perry stolen more than the number one Billboard slot from Gaga?
The reaction: Perry's video is "like the love child of Lady Gaga's 'Born this Way' and Ke$ha's 'Blow,'" says Amanda Hasaka at Celebuzz. With the "space imagery... and the animal/human transformation," the resemblance is unmistakable. If anything, Perry has simply out-Gaga-ed the Lady herself, says Mark at MSN. Sure, this video is "thematically similar" to Gaga's "Born this Way," but "Perry's work is far more impressive," especially with its "out-of-this-world set design (no pun intended)." Watch both videos, and judge for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why you should absolutely watch this confounding, wonderful World Series
- Rise of the machines
- House hunting: 6 stunning historic conversions
Subscribe to the Week