he video: Lady Gaga versus Katy Perry is pop music's clash of the week. First, Perry knocked Gaga's "Born This Way" from the top spot on Billboard's Hot chart, with her new single "E.T.," featuring Kanye West. Then, on Thursday, Perry previewed a video for the song, featuring alien imagery, psychedelic special effects, and dramatic makeup — a violent departure from her bright, cartoonish past (whipped-cream-shooting breasts, anyone?). Some commentators and Gaga fans were quick to note an uncanny resemblance to the "Born This Way" video. (See both videos below.) Is this much ado about eye shadow, or has Perry stolen more than the number one Billboard slot from Gaga?
The reaction: Perry's video is "like the love child of Lady Gaga's 'Born this Way' and Ke$ha's 'Blow,'" says Amanda Hasaka at Celebuzz. With the "space imagery... and the animal/human transformation," the resemblance is unmistakable. If anything, Perry has simply out-Gaga-ed the Lady herself, says Mark at MSN. Sure, this video is "thematically similar" to Gaga's "Born this Way," but "Perry's work is far more impressive," especially with its "out-of-this-world set design (no pun intended)." Watch both videos, and judge for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Attack of the invasive species
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why Easter is so important to Christians
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Wounded in Boston, two brothers endure
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
Subscribe to the Week