The video: Car enthusiasts are buzzing about a new family car... from Ferrari. Unveiled last month at the Geneva Auto Show, the four-seat Ferrari FF is the Italian's car company's first foray into four-wheel-drive, family-friendly vehicles. (Watch a vainglorious promotional video for the car below.) This is "a different Ferrari for different Ferrari owners. This is a Ferrari that can be used for families and for long trips," says Ferrari's chairman. The new super car boasts a top speed of 208 miles per hour, can accelerate from zero to 62 mph in 3.7 seconds, and "comfortably accommodate four people and their luggage," according to the Ferrari website. And all for a starting price of just $300,000.
The reaction: This is "absolutely the coolest Ferrari of all time," says Dan Neil in The Wall Street Journal. Sure, it looks a little "like a toilet brush on wheels," but that's what makes it cool. "This is a car that despises prettiness and mocks your bourgeois notions of sleek and rakish." C'mon, it's the four-wheel drive feature that's "a revolution for Ferrari owners," says Passione Rossa of the Ferrari owners' club, as quoted at Bloomberg. "You can finally drive a real Ferrari, with its extreme performance, to take your family skiing." Yeah, "you won't be allowed into Gstaad next year if you haven't got an FF," says Andrew English at The Telegraph. See what $300,000 gets you below:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- Inside Turkey's shadow war with ISIS
- How to be charismatic, according to science
- 10 things you need to know today: November 23, 2014
Subscribe to the Week