his week, New Zealand's Moa Brewery is launching what it's billing as the world's first "breakfast beer" — Moa Breakfast. The company says the cherry-flavored lager is "a beer the ladies can enjoy," and a fine option "if you're having a champagne breakfast but don't fancy champagne." Critics say it's irresponsible to encourage people to start drinking in the morning. Let the frothy debate unfold:
Yes! Breakfast time is now beer o'clock: I'm not going to knock back a martini at 6 a.m., says Victor Ozols at BlackBook, "but a small glass of ale as the sun climbs into the sky and the birds start chirping" sounds like a perfect morning to me. Incidentally, Moa didn't invent the concept of "a brew worth getting out of bed for" — there used to be a Latvian beer called "Labrit" (good morning).
"We cheer for breakfast beer"
What a terrible message: Moa is telling people that "pathological behavior" is perfectly OK, says addiction expert Doug Sellman, as quoted in the New Zealand Herald. Encouraging people to drink first thing in the morning will only reinforce unhealthy habits, and fuel addictions. This is "a completely irresponsible stunt."
"Experts' breakfast beer worry"
To each his own: Sure, "downing beer along with your bacon and eggs is a little excessive," says Amanda at F Listed. But maybe that's just me. "If your iron-clad stomach can handle a little more booze in your day, I’m not going to knock your hustle."
"Breakfast beer, good idea or bad idea?"
- WATCH: Jon Stewart and Bill O'Reilly spar over the Obama scandals
- Is Greek yogurt hurting the environment?
- WATCH: Suspect defends brutal beheading of London man in broad daylight
- A linguistic dissection of 7 annoying teenage sounds
- 32 TV shows to watch in 2013 [Updated]
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The FBI kills Tamerlan Tsarnaev's friend: 4 things we know [Updated]
- Confessions of a trust-fund baby
- Did IRS official Lois Lerner waive her right to silence?
- Sadly, you are uglier than you think
- The politics behind Kanye West's 'New Slaves'
- Are we on the cusp of a solar energy boom?
- Why Oklahoma Sen. Tom Coburn doesn't want tornado relief money
- WATCH: Jon Stewart hates everyone in Washington now
- LIVE UPDATES: Massive tornado tears through Oklahoma City area
- Angry at the government? 5 ways you can fight back
- 7 purported health benefits of drinking coffee
- What is a quantum computer — and why does Google need one?
- Why NASA is funding a 3D pizza printer
- The cool backstory of the Slurpee